Working with Indiahikes
Working at a start-up can be extremely rewarding and equally frustrating. In our organization everyone seems to be doing everything! There’s always a perpetual chaos. Yet, people seem to like what they are doing.
We are looking for people to join us. We think you’ll love our world of treks. But first a bit about Indiahikes.
Indiahikes is primarily a trek documentation organization. We explore, write and document treks. We do this in great detail so that everyone can organize their own treks. Ideally no one must need an organization like Indiahikes to take them on treks. This is our philosophy.
To fund our documentation process we also organize treks. The participation on our treks has grown. People like our treks and love trekking with us. Though, this is contrary to our philosophy about documenting treks where we want people to be able to trek on their own, it helps us to fund our documentation drive. In this contrarian world Indiahikes has set new standards and ways of trekking in India. Over the years, Indiahikes has become the chosen community platform for people to meet and interact on treks.
In this context read our work requirement below.
1. Indiahikes Team Members: Just like us there are many who love the mountains and the world of treks. They just want to be involved in this world in some way or the other. If you are someone like this and want to devote your full time to this world then you can be an Indiahikes team member. The roles available are:
A: Indiahikes Team Member (Trek Administrators): Trek administrators need to interact with our trek team and ensure treks are run observing the philosophies that we have about trekking. Will get chance to visit our trek slopes. Willing to be Bangalore based. Salary: Rs 20,000 – 25,000 per month, plus opportunity to go on Indiahikes treks.
B: Indiahikes Team Member (Office Administrators): Office administrators run the Indiahikes trek management office. Work involves advising trekkers and managing their treks. Will get chance to visit our trek slopes. Willing to be Bangalore based. Salary: Rs 15,000 – 25,000 per month, plus opportunity to go on Indiahikes treks.
C: Trek Leaders: This role is for those who love the outdoors and want to stay there. Trek leaders lead the Indiahikes teams in the mountains. Work involves being in some of the greatest trek slopes of our country. On the flip side trek leaders spend months in the mountains away from family and friends. Need experience of being on treks, preferably Himalayan. Salary: Rs 20,000 – 25,000 per month plus all expenses covered.
D. Assistant Trek Leaders: Would you like to learn to lead one of the Indiahikes trek team? You can hone your leadership skills and earn a certificate from Indiahikes. You need experience of being on treks. All expense of the trek will be borne by Indiahikes. You will need to devote at least 15 days for the internship.
2. Explorer: Would you like to explore trails around your home region and write about them? These treks can be done on weekends and extended weekends. Indiahikes will fund your expedition expenses. Volunteers may join your explorations too. Writing task would involve writing, photographing and collecting trail data about the trek. Explorations are open to documentation in the following regions:
1. Sahayadri and the Western Ghats
2. New Delhi and the mountains near Dalhousie, Shimla, Mussoorie and Nainital
3. Hills of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala
4. The West Bengal Himalayas and Sikkim
5. You could also submit a region for explorations
3. Project Explorers: This role is for those who want to explore the mountains for a longer time. They work for 2-3 months on an assignment basis. They are assigned treks to go and write about. They are paid on assignment/project basis. The fee is usually Rs 20,000 per month plus expenses of the trek. The ability to write and communicate well is a priority on this task.
3a. Trek Guru: If you have done a trek and would like to share your experience, write to us. Our team will interview you and feature your trek on our website. The interview is just like being interviewed for a newspaper and will take at least two hours with perhaps extended follow up sessions. Trek Gurus get Indiahikes trek vouchers as a gesture of recognition of their contribution to the trek documentation process.
3b. Documenter: Work involves interviewing trekkers about their experience, capturing the data and uploading them on our website. Need to be able to write good English. Can be based anywhere in India. Will need internet connection. Documenters get Indiahikes trek vouchers as a gesture of recognition of their contribution to the trek documentation process.
4. Indiahikes Partner: Indiahikes partners are those who are keen on the business side of things. Partners can choose one of the areas outlined below to work in. Partners are usually rewarded with share in revenues. Can be located anywhere in India.
1. Sector partners: school, college, corporate, or government.
2. Geography sector partners: any city, town, state, oversees.
5. Specialist Team Member: Specialists are skilled with something. They cannot work full time but want to contribute their time on and off in exchange for treks or fee or both. Specialists are required in the following areas:
1. Video film making
2. Graphic designers for map making (this may be new to you, we’ll explain as long as you are a good graphic designer)
3. Graphic designers for PDF making
4. Software developers with Php or Joomla skills
5. Social media (good with Facebook, Twitter and other social media)